Job description summary: / Initial Job Details
For the largest outdoor medicinal mushroom farm in Europe, we are looking for a person that will assist in the production and cultivation of mushroom spawn throughout the early season (March/April).
At our production facility in Mustio, we will be cultivating spawn used for our own farm and others’, totaling around 10.000 mushroom logs. At the moment, we are cultivating 12 different species for our farm with the primary mushroom species being Shiitake, Reishi and Lion's mane. We will also be producing dowels of edible mushrooms and chaga for consumer purchase. Finally, we are cultivating less common mycelium for research projects and new product development.
You will be working at our 120m2 production and laboratory facility to support the first stage of spawn creation for our farm and growing network to use. This work will mainly be indoors.
This is a temporary position, with possibility to extend to a permanent position, to assist in various matters related to the creation and maintenance of the above mentioned mycelium products.
The position starts on the 2nd of March, with a week of part-time , paid training, followed by full-time (40 hr/wk) work through April 24th.
- Preparing high quality substrates for mushroom cultivation
- Upkeeping the viability of liquid culture mycelium through routine care
- Packaging myceliated dowels for consumer distribution
- Other miscellaneous tasks needed to create & maintain healthy mushroom spawn
- Helping maintain a clean and functional production space
Required skills and qualifications:
- Fluent in English
- No previous knowledge about mushroom growing is required, but is a plus.
- Interest in growing mushrooms and to learn more about the topic
- Attentive & conscientious attitude towards the safe operation of equipment and quality production standards
- Ability to work efficiently and sometimes move around heavy objects
Salary & benefits:
All employees at KÄÄPÄ Biotech will start with 12 euros per hour full time positions. 5 weeks of vacation is earned during the 1st year and given then during the 2nd - standard Finnish policy. All employees receive a discount on products as well as free mushroom extracts to keep you healthy.
About KÄÄPÄ Biotech, KÄÄPÄ Health, and Suomen Agrometsä :
We are a startup committed to making both humans and ecosystems more healthy with the use of fungi. We take a biotech vision when designing solutions. We are the largest cultivator of chaga mushroom, have our own extraction product line for both consumers and businesses, and we closely work on bringing to market cutting edge research. Our company culture is demanding, fast paced at times and relaxed at times, research focused, open, inclusive, and forward thinking. We expect the most out of people who join our existing 10 person team.
Please send your resume, a one page cover letter stating why you want this job, and any other details to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th of February, 2020.